I have a MAJOR egg (chicken, can eat duck, but, hard to find) allergy. Any suggestions what can be used in replacement?
I have a lot of answers to maybe help you out! Part of this is because I'm a baker in a vegan bakery but mostly it's because have a TON of food allergies myself... and I've just learned replacements and made a lot of notes to help myself, and anyone else I can! Here are some of the ways I replace eggs in recipes, I really hope some of these can help you! The only time you have to be really careful if anything calls for over 3 eggs because then you'll need to find a replacement that works to both leaven and and bind.
1) 1/4 cup puree tofu = 1 egg
• 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. potato starch
• 1 egg = 1/2 to a whole banana + 1/2t baking powder (without adding the baking powder to this your recipe will become really dense, this helps lighten it up!)
• 1 egg = 1/4 cup mashed potatoes
• 1 egg = 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or squash + 1/2t baking powder
• 1 egg = 1/4 cup puréed prunes + 1/2t baking powder
• 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder
• 1 egg = 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 3 Tbsp. water
• 1 egg white = 1 T agar-agar powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water. You have to whip it, then chill it, then whip it again... this is too much troubel for me to do but it does work pretty good.
2) Ener-G egg replacement = I don''t really like this one, because I feel it gives a really gross aftertaste, but some people like it and its convenient and available at most natural stores, and big food stores
3) To get that binding from your egg replacement you can Add 2-3T
whole wheat flour,
mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, (instant or otherwise)
instant potato flakes,
or just add some flour to the tofu :) I think it's only about a Tablespoon for that, but I can't remember off the top of my head right now.
I really hope this helps out!
I'm allergic to eggs too. I usually use (natural) applesauce for baking. A little less than one of the containers for one egg. (I use 2 ½ little cups for 3 eggs.) Otherwise, flax meal works really well. There's directions on the box for substituting flax for eggs. :) Hope this helps!
DISCLAIMER: This Daily Burn Community is a user forum for discussion purposes only and is not a medical resource. Any content or advice contained herein, should not be substituted for that of your medical professional or for any treatment that may have been prescribed by your doctor. If you suspect that you have a medical problem, we urge you to seek competent medical help.