Once the ultimate energy food for ancient Mayans and Aztecs, chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants, omega-3s, calcium and fiber. Plus, they absorb over 10 times their weight in water, which makes them an unlikely hydration source too. In this recipe, chia seeds are soaked in almond milk (see almond milk recipe below!), which transforms them into a luxurious and creamy tapioca-like pudding. Top this easy-to-make chia pudding with some fresh seasonal fruit, and you have yourself an incredibly nourishing breakfast.
RELATED: 14 Creative Chia Seed Recipes
Vanilla-Almond Chia Breakfast Pudding
Yields 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Soak time: 1-8 hours
2 cups unsweetened almond milk, homemade or store bought (see recipe for homemade almond milk below)
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or raw honey
Seasonal fruit for topping (blueberries, peaches, figs and plums are pictured here)
Almonds or other nuts for topping
- Combine almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla and sweetener in a bowl. Mix well until combined and the mixture begins to thicken. Store covered in the refrigerator overnight or for at least an hour.
- Stir well before serving and add a bit of water to the pudding if it becomes too thick. Top with fresh fruit and nuts of your choice.
Note: This recipe makes enough for two large servings, but feel free to double the recipe and keep it in your refrigerator so that you have breakfast for a few days in a row. It will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Homemade Unsweetened Almond Milk
Yields 1 quart
Prep time: 5 minutes
Soak time: 3-8 hours
What You’ll Need
1 cup raw almonds
4 cups water
What to Do
- Put almonds in a bowl and cover them with water. Let them soak in the water for at least three hours, but preferably overnight.
- Drain and rinse the almonds and put them in a blender with 4 cups of water. Blend on high for one minute.
- Strain the almond milk through a fine mesh strainer or a nut milk bag into a container of your choice. Cover and refrigerate for up to five days.