Eating healthy is tricky even with the best intentions. Even options in the so-called “health” food aisle can deceptively be not-so-good for you. That’s because pre-packaged fare, like granola, often packs a few extra ingredients to help keep it fresher longer and improve overall taste. Our solution: Skip the added sugar and make your own homemade granola recipe instead. This chocolate-hazelnut version uses just maple syrup for natural, controlled sweetness balanced with filling fiber and protein. Enjoy it with milk or sprinkled over Greek yogurt for breakfast to avoid a midday sugar crash.
Low-Sugar Chocolate-Hazelnut Homemade Granola Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
2 cups rolled oats(not quick cooking)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts, lightly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add in the vanilla extract, maple syrup, and vegetable oil and mix thoroughly.
- Lay the oats out on a non-stick baking tray about ½-inch thick.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the granola cool.
- Once cooled, break up the granola into clusters and toss with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
RELATED: The Best Homemade Granola Recipe