Remember Rice Krispies treats? We put a healthy spin on the chewy-yet-gooey schoolyard favorite. Fuel-6 protein powder gives each treat a whopping eight grams of protein, making these nutty treats much more substantial than regular Rice Krispies, which have just one gram of protein. Plus, for all you peanut butter fans, the all-natural spread replaces processed marshmallows. Our recipe is also low-sugar, vegan and gluten-free, and can be made with just five ingredients! Whip up a batch and store the rest in the fridge or freezer for a delicious grab-n-go snack or dessert.
RELATED: 15 Unexpected Protein Powder Recipes
Protein Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Freeze time: 30 minutes
4 cups brown rice crisps (or classic Rice Krispies)
½ cup all-natural peanut butter (or other nut butter), partially melted
½ cup brown rice syrup
3 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease a 9-inch by 9-inch pan with coconut oil or line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together melted peanut butter, brown rice syrup, protein powder and vanilla until it forms a dough consistency.
- Add brown rice crisps to the peanut butter mixture. Use your hands to gently fold the rice crisps into the mixture. Then, pour mixture into the pan.
- Using a spatula, spread mixture out evenly and press into pan so the bars are compact.
- Place into freezer for at least 30 minutes
- Before serving or storing, use a sharp knife to cut your treats into squares.
Do not substitute honey or agave for brown rice syrup, since this sticky ingredient is essential to the recipe’s texture.
For more recipes from Lee, visit FitFoodieFinds.com.
Originally posted August 2015. Updated January 2016.