Brussels sprouts are the side dish staple that’ll hopefully never go away. In addition to being quite delicious when cooked right, just one cup gives you enough vitamin C and K for the day. Add in other nutrient-rich foods like walnuts, which are packed with omega-3s, and you’re well on your way to a healthy meal. This salad has all the flavors of fall (apples and cranberries and nuts, oh my!) and can be served warm or cool at your next holiday get-together. A squeeze of lemon juice will brighten up the flavors and keep the apple slices from browning for a picture-perfect dish.
Winter Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 1/2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium-sized apple (Gala recommended)
1/3 cup crushed walnuts
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Clean all of the Brussels sprouts and quickly pat them dry. Cut into halves.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil and salt.
- Lay them onto a non-stick baking tray and roast for 40 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until warm.
- Using a microplane, slice your apple into thin pieces making sure not to go down to the core. Cut the larger slices with a knife lengthwise into bite-sized strips.
- In a large bowl, toss together all of the ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.