Want to bring something sweet and unique to your next holiday party? Pavlova, a meringue-based dessert that originated in Russia, is a lighter dessert that also happens to be fat-free. With a crisp crust and soft, airy center, consider this raspberry-cocoa pavlova recipe a healthier alternative to cake. A fresh raspberry sauce and a drizzle of chocolate syrup put the finishing touches on this elegant dessert. And since the cocoa powder is a prominent flavor, splurging on a premium brand (like Divine or Ghirardelli) will help the flavor shine through.
Fat-Free Raspberry-Cocoa Pavlova Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours (or overnight)
- 125 cal
- 0 g fat (0 g sat)
- 30 g carbs
- 67 mg sodium
- 1 g fiber
- 28 g sugar
- 2 g protein
4 egg whites
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 ounces raspberries (fresh or thawed frozen)
4 tablespoons agave
Pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons agave
Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the powdered sugar and cream of tartar.
- In a large glass blow, beat the egg whites until they’re frothy and just start to thicken.
- While beating the egg whites, slowly add in the sugar until fully incorporated. Continue beating on high until soft peaks form.
- Sift in ¼ cup of cocoa powder and fold gently making sure not to deflate the egg whites. Continue folding until the cocoa powder and egg whites are mixed.
- Gently pour the meringue out in a 12-inch wide circle on a non-stick baking tray or an aluminum foil-lined tray. You can work the meringue with a soft spatula at this point to shape it into a circle.
- Place the tray in the oven, close the oven door, and turn it off overnight or for 8 hours until the meringue has set.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and gently move to a serving plate. Be sure to lift from the bottom since the sides will be delicate.
- In a small pot, add ¼ cup water to the raspberries and bring it to a boil. Continue boiling until nearly all of the water has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and add in 4 tablespoons of agave, a pinch of salt and the vanilla extract and puree with a blender or potato masher.
- In a separate bowl, mix ingredients for chocolate syrup. Stir until well combined.
- Right before serving, pour the raspberry sauce over the middle of the meringue. Next, drizzle the cocoa syrup over the top of the pavlova. Cut into 12 slices to serve.