Crunchy on the outside and deliciously warm and soft in the middle, you’d never guess this baked zucchini fries recipe has just three grams of fat per serving! Unlike fast food fries, which usually pack around 10 grams of fat per serving, these crispy veggie sticks skip the deep frier in favor of a better-for-you baked preparation. And did we mention all the nutrients like vitamin C and B6? Booyah. You can pass on the sugary ketchup, too — these no-fry fries will taste even better when paired with this fresh garlic and herb dipping sauce. Made with Greek yogurt and lemon juice, it’s rich in protein and calcium.
Baked Zucchini Fries Recipe with Garlic Herb Dip
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
For the fries:
2 large zucchini
1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 tablespoon skim milk (or almond milk)
1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
1/3 cup Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
Pinch of cayenne
For the dip:
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 clove garlic
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the zucchini and cut into slices that are approximately 1/2 an inch in thickness. Place the zucchini sticks in a Ziploc bag with the flour, salt and pepper. Seal the bag and shake well until all sides of the zucchini sticks are lightly coated in flour.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In another bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, herbs and spices.
- Working in batches of two sticks at a time, dip the zucchini in the egg and then dredge in the dry mixture so that all sides are well coated, then place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining zucchini sticks.
- Bake the zucchini in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping half way through to ensure they are evenly crisp and golden.
- Stir together all of the ingredient for the dipping sauce and serve alongside the warm zucchini fries.