Say goodbye to the crumbly biscuit and greasy croissant. The breakfast sandwich has a fresh new look. Empanada dough has only a quarter of the fat and half the calories of buttery breads, plus it’s way less messy to eat. One serving kick-starts your day with 30 grams of protein so you’ll have enough stamina to tackle the morning ahead. If you’re not serving a family of four, we suggest freezing a batch. It only takes 15 minutes in the oven, and then let it cool and you’ll be good to go.
Breakfast Empanadas Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
8 frozen empanada wrappers, thawed
5 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
3 scallions, minced
7 ounces cooked chicken breakfast sausage links, cut crosswise into ¼- inch pieces
1/2 cup (2 ounces) low-fat Swiss cheese, grated
Egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water)
- Preheat oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in bell pepper and scallions.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly, until eggs just begin to set but are still very loose, about 1 minute. Stir in sausages and cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each empanada wrapper into a 7-inch circle. Scoop 1/3 cup of filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold each wrapper in half to enclose the filling and crimp edges closed with a fork. Cut two ½-inch slits on the top of each empanada and transfer to the baking sheet. At this point, you can freeze the empanadas then transfer them to a freezer storage bag. Bake as usual when ready.
- Brush the egg wash over the tops of the empanadas. Bake on the middle rack until golden, about 15 minutes.