Quinoa is a naturally gluten-free grain, which has more protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals per serving then Arborio rice (the grain traditionally used in risotto). This lighter variation has the same creamy consistency but is a lot quicker and easier to make. (Read: No standing over the stove continuously stirring for 40 minutes!) Topped with mushrooms — a good source of iron and vitamin D — this a great warming dish to enjoy during cooler months.
RELATED: 8 Ridiculously Easy Quinoa Recipes
Quinoa Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Per 2-cup serving:
- 370 cal
- 11 g fat (1 g sat)
- 52 g carbs
- 807 mg sodium
- 4 g fiber
- 4 g sugar
- 10 g protein
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3/4 cup white wine
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place the vegetable stock in a saucepan on medium-low heat and leave to simmer.
- In a separate pan sauté the mushrooms and 1 clove of garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on low heat, season with the chopped thyme and salt and cook until the mushrooms are golden in color (6-8 minutes). Once cooked, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a pot over medium heat sauté the chopped onion and 1 crushed garlic clove in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until the onions turn translucent in color.
- Add in the quinoa and cook for 4-5 minutes until it begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the wine to deglaze the pan and stir.
- Once the wine has begun to evaporate add in a ladle of the warm vegetable broth. Continue the process of adding in a ladle of stock every few minutes when it looks like most of the liquid has evaporated.
- After approximately 8-10 minutes taste the quinoa to check if it’s tender, if not add another ladle of stock.
- Once the quinoa has reached your desired texture, divide the quinoa between bowls, top with the mushrooms and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
For more recipes from Carmen, visit everylastbite.com.