If you have never made chicken pot pie because it seems like too much work or it’s not diet-approved, then we have the perfect recipe for you. This healthy spin on chicken pie is low in calories and can be fully prepared in a mug, without dirtying a single pot. To cut back on calories, fat and carbs, we swapped cream for skim milk, replaced the traditional crust topping with sheets of filo, and added loads of veggies. Get the 15-minute mug cake-meets-chicken pot pie recipe here.
Super-Quick Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Makes 1 mug
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1/2 tablespoon Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
1/2 cup chopped mixed vegetables such as corn, carrots and broccoli (thawed if frozen)
1/2 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons skim milk
2 tablespoons chicken stock
1/2 cooked chicken breast, cut into small pieces
3 spears cooked asparagus, cut into small pieces
4 sheets filo
Low-calorie cooking spray
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Microwave the margarine and mixed vegetables in a microwave- or oven-safe mug for 1 minute, or until the butter has melted.
- Add in the flour and stir until a paste has formed. Then stir in the skim milk and chicken stock.
- Add the chicken and asparagus to the mug and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut out 4 squares of filo from 1 sheet, making sure each square is slightly larger then the top of the mug. Spray each square with cooking spray as you stack the sheets on top of the mug.
- Place the mug in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the filo is flaky and golden in color.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Next up, dessert? For more recipes for one, check out these 15 Guilt-Free Mug Cakes.