What makes this dip healthier? It’s not only less fatty than most layer dip recipes that are loaded down with refried beans, sour cream and excess cheese, but it’s super tasty with a zesty blend of spices and subtle heat. The avocado provides healthy fat while fiber from the corn and black beans make it a filling snack. Swapping Greek yogurt for sour cream saves 55 calories per serving, but we still stuck in a half-layer of cheddar, because what’s a dip without its cheese?
Total time: 30 minutes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15.5-ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups corn kernels (10-ounce box frozen corn)
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 ripe avocados
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
2 cups low-fat Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Put half of the onion mixture into a food processor with the black beans, chipotle peppers, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, cumin, water and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Add the corn to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in black pepper and half the cilantro leaves.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocados with the remaining lime juice and cilantro.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the tomatoes, jalapeño and scallions.
- In another small bowl, mix the yogurt with the taco seasoning.
- In a 1 3/4-quart straight-sided bowl, spread the black bean dip in an even layer on the bottom. Top with the corn mixture, spreading it out to form a single layer over the beans, repeat with the avocado, then yogurt, then the tomatoes. Top with cheese if desired and serve with baked tortilla chips.