Few foods are as comforting on a cold day than a bowl of hot, homemade chili. We lightened up this classic dish with lean turkey and nutritious northern white beans, which are high in resistant starch — a healthy carb that keeps you fuller, longer. They’re also high in protein and dietary fiber, and an excellent source of iron, magnesium and folate.
RELATED: 12 Healthier Homemade Chips Recipes
Turkey Chili with White Beans Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound lean ground turkey
2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
Juice from 1 lime
Ground black pepper
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and oregano and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the turkey and brown it, breaking it apart as you go, for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and simmer until reduced by half, about 8 minutes.
- Add the beans and tomatoes; bring to a low boil. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 minutes
- Remove from heat, add lime juice and season with black pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Originally published on November 3, 2013.