Few foods are as comforting on a cold day than a bowl of hot, homemade chili. We lightened up this classic dish with lean turkey and nutritious northern white beans, which are high in resistant starch — a healthy carb that keeps you fuller, longer. They’re also high in protein and dietary fiber, and an excellent source of iron, magnesium and folate.
Turkey Chili with White Beans Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Per 1-cup serving:
- 320 cal
- 8.5 g fat (2 g sat)
- 26 g carbs
- 430 mg sodium
- 13 g fiber
- 33 g protein
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound lean ground turkey
2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
Juice from 1 lime
Ground black pepper
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and oregano and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the turkey and brown it, breaking it apart as you go, for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and simmer until reduced by half, about 8 minutes.
- Add the beans and tomatoes; bring to a low boil. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 minutes
- Remove from heat, add lime juice and season with black pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro before serving.