Add some color to your plate with this cheerful, veggie-packed recipe. Coming in at only 295 calories, this gluten-free, vegan dish is a scrumptious alternative to carb-heavy spaghetti. Low-calorie tofu noodles remove the guilt from eating a bowl of pasta, while the rich sunflower seed pesto ensures each bite will still be enjoyable.
Low-Carb Pasta Primavera with Pesto Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 295 cal
- 21 g fat (3 g sat)
- 22 g carbs
- 596 mg sodium
- 8 g fiber
- 7 g protein
For the pasta and vegetables:
16 ounces (2 packages) shirataki tofu fettuccine noodles
Olive oil cooking spray
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
2 cups broccoli florets
1 yellow squash, cut into thin strips
1 zucchini, cut into thin strips
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped into large chunks
1 medium carrot, sliced or diced
For the pesto:
1/2 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds, soaked in water overnight
1 small garlic clove
2 cups (packed) arugula leaves
1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
Zest of one lemon
Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- On a baking sheet, combine the vegetables and spray with oil. Toss with salt, pepper and herbs to coat. Bake until the vegetables begin to brown, about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto and cook the pasta.
- Drain and rinse the sunflower seeds. In a food processor, purée seeds, garlic, arugula, basil, oil, honey and lemon zest and juice until smooth.
- Prepare the noodles following package instructions.
- In a large bowl, toss the noodles, pesto and vegetables to combine.