Craving a cheesy slice of pizza? These inventive personal pies are built on portobello mushrooms, which are rich in fiber and much lower in carbs than regular pizza dough. Topping your mini ‘zas with spinach and ham adds extra iron and protein, which will keep hunger at bay hours past meal time. Best of all, your pizza will be ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s faster (and healthier) than delivery, folks! And just like slices from your favorite take-out spot, they’re just as good reheated the next day.
RELATED: 7 Delicious Low-Carb Pizza Recipes
Low-Carb Portobello Pizza Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
4 portobello mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup chopped ham, prosciutto or chorizo
1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 tablespoon basil, chopped
1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the stems from each mushroom. Using a spoon, clean out the darker gills from the inside of the mushrooms.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and oregano. Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet and gently brush with the garlic oil mixture. Bake for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the mushrooms from the oven and top with tomato sauce, ham, spinach and cheese. Place back in the oven to back for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Before serving top with fresh basil and chili flakes, if desired.
For more recipes from Carmen, visit everylastbite.com.