Spring rolls are a perfect light appetizer to satisfy your need for crunch. Not fried, like Chinese egg rolls, these Vietnamese-style rolls are served fresh, letting the textures and flavors of the vegetables, herbs and shrimp shine through. The recipe uses brown rice wrappers for extra nutrients and more meat and veggies than noodles to boost protein and cut carbs.
Pork and Shrimp Spring Rolls Recipe
Total time: 45 minutes
Per one roll:
- 243 cal
- 7.5 g fat (4 g sat)
- 20 g carbs
- 435 mg sodium
- 3 g fiber
- 7 g sugar
- 17 g protein
2 ounces thin rice noodles (vermicelli)
8 ounces boneless pork loin
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, divided
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 brown rice Vietnamese spring roll wrappers
Fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, basil, Vietnamese coriander, or whatever you like)
1 small head of lettuce
4 mini cucumbers, cut into thin strips
2 carrots, shredded or julienned
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup crushed peanuts
4 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, soak the noodles in a bowl of cold water until pliable, about 7 minutes. Drain and boil, stirring once or twice, until tender, about 15 seconds. Transfer with a mesh sieve to a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain and transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Add the pork and 1 tablespoon vinegar to the boiling water. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 140° F, about 8 minutes. Transfer with tongs to a cutting board, let cool to room temperature, and then cut crosswise into very thin slices.
- In the same water, cook the shrimp just until pink and opaque, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Cut each shrimp in half lengthwise.
- Fill a large, shallow, round dish with warm water. Submerge a rice paper wrapper in the water until very pliable, about 10 seconds, and lay on a plate. On the lower third of the wrapper, leaving about 1 inch of space on the edges, layer the fillings horizontally in the following order: 3 shrimp halves, a few herbs, 1 lettuce leaf folded in half, 2 pork slices, 4 cucumber slices, 2 tablespoons of noodles, and 6 carrot strips.
- Starting with the edge closest to you, fold the wrapper up and over the filling. Fold the right and left sides of the wrapper in and continue rolling the wrapper tightly all the way to the top. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fillings.
- Before serving, mix the hoisin sauce, coconut milk, remaining 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, and sesame oil together. Divide into 4 sauce cups, top each with 1 tablespoon of peanuts and 1 teaspoon Sriracha.
RELATED: Quinoa Shrimp Spring Roll Recipe