A veggie and a meat make up this morning treat! Spinach and eggs shaped as muffins, are baked in water so they will not toughen. Crispy potatoes are mixed in with ham, for a savory hash even worthy of Sam. Have it with a glass of orange juice, have it while reading Dr. Seuss. You will like green eggs and ham, especially since it’s only one calorie per gram!
Green Eggs and Ham Recipe with Home Fries
Per 2 muffins and 1 cup home fries:
- 340 calories
- 15 g fat (10 g sat. fat)
- 1107 mg sodium
- 27 g carbs
- 5 g fiber
- 3 g sugar
- 38 g protein
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
12 silicon muffin liners
10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
6 large eggs
1 cup egg whites
8 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 yellow onion, chopped
16 ounces extra-lean low-sodium cooked ham, cut into 1/4 –inch dice
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds red baby potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325° F and place the rack in the middle position. Boil 2 quarts of water in a kettle. Grease the insides of the muffin liners with oil and arrange them on a rimmed baking pan.
- Squeeze excess water out of the spinach and put it in a food processor or blender along with the eggs, egg whites, cheese, baking powder, salt and pepper. Pulse until mixture is an even green color with bits of spinach, about 30 seconds. Fill the muffin liners almost to the tops with the egg mixture. Place the baking pan on the middle oven rack and carefully pour the boiled water into the pan. Bake until firm in the centers, about 20-25 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave at HIGH for 5 minutes. Uncover and cool slightly.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray and add onions; sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add ham and bell pepper; cook until ham is browned, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the ham mixture to a bowl and set aside. Wipe the skillet clean and return heat to medium-high. Add olive oil, swirl to coat and add potatoes, cut-side down. Cook for 4 minutes without stirring. Turn potatoes over. Cook for 6 minutes without stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in ham mixture until warmed up, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer muffin liners to a cooling rack to set for 5 minutes.
- Serve two muffins with a cup of home fries.
Egg muffins can be wrapped and stored in the refrigerator for a week. To reheat, stick them in the microwave at 50% power for 60-90 seconds.