Lean steak and quinoa both help beef up the protein in this fresh salad recipe. Spinach, summer squash and sweet bell peppers provide fiber and just about every vitamin and mineral under the sun. Whip up this meal after a tough workout for a proper recovery and enough energy to get you through the rest of the day.
Steak and Quinoa Salad Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 pound lean sirloin steak
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 bunch spinach, ends trimmed and leaves coarsely chopped
1 yellow squash, quartered and sliced into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Season steak with garlic powder, cayenne and 1 teaspoon salt. Let sit until it comes to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place quinoa in a medium pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, about 12-15 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat and add 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add the steak and sear for 4 minutes per side. Let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing it into thin strips against the grain.
- Whisk the lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a large bowl. Add spinach, squash, bell pepper and quinoa; toss to combine.
- Divide the salad and steak among 4 plates.
RELATED: Steak Fajitas Recipe