These vegetable-packed baked cakes make for a hearty, gluten-free appetizer. Protein- and fiber-rich quinoa browns beautifully in the oven without the help of breadcrumbs or frying oil, while kale and sweet potatoes help keep the delicate patties together.
Yields 18 patties
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 134 cal
- 3 g fat (1 g sat)
- 21 g carbs
- 415 mg sodium
- 3 g fiber
- 6 g protein
Olive oil cooking spray
8 cups water
2 cups (12 ounces) quinoa, rinsed
1/2 pound kale, large stems removed and leaves finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring another 4 cups of water to a boil. Add kale and salt; cook for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, scoop kale into a large bowl and leave the cooking water in the pot. When kale is cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water and set aside.
- Bring the water back to a boil and add sweet potatoes. Simmer until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Strain the sweet potatoes and transfer to the bowl with kale. Add quinoa to the bowl and lightly mash to combine.
- Gently mix in onion, Parmesan, chives and cayenne. Let cool for 10 minutes then mix in the eggs.
- Place a 3-inch round cookie cutter on the baking sheet and scoop quinoa mixture into it; press firmly to level the top. The patty should be 1-inch thick. Slide the cookie cutter off and repeat to form 18 patties total.
- Bake until lightly browned and crisp, flipping halfway through, about 20 minutes.
- Combine ketchup and Sriracha in a small bowl and serve with quinoa cakes.