Simple seasonings add a ton of flavor to this one-pot meal that feeds a family in under an hour. Hearty but lean turkey meatballs take center-stage in this creamy tomato soup, complemented by colorful summer vegetables that provide lots of fiber and antioxidants. Together, you get a winning macronutrient combo of protein, fat and veggies.
Turkey Meatball Soup Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Per 1 1/2-cup serving:
- 416 cal
- 15 g fat (4 g sat)
- 33 g carbs
- 1290 mg sodium
- 5 g fiber
- 7.5 g sugar
- 32 g protein
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
2 carrots, sliced crosswise into ¼-inch disks
2 roma tomatoes, chopped coarsely
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 zucchini, diced large
4 wedges Laughing Cow light creamy Swiss cheese
3 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 ounce (about 12) blue corn tortilla chips
1 lime, sliced into 4 wedges
- Using your hands, combine the turkey with the next 6 ingredients (through egg) in a medium bowl and place in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer.
- Add carrots, tomatoes and tomato paste to the broth, stir to combine and return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and roll heaping tablespoons of meat into 1-inch balls, wetting your hands as necessary to prevent sticking, and carefully drop meatballs into the soup. Return to a simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer uncovered until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, hot sauce and oregano.
- Serve with cilantro, tortilla chips and a wedge of lime.