We took French toast and made it easier, healthier and more flavorful than the traditional pan-fried version. First, you’ll break up gluten-free bread into chunks and soak them in a lemony egg mixture until moist and full of flavor. Then, you’ll add in the blueberries and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. The result is a deliciously fluffy baked French toast casserole with zesty citrus and juicy blueberries in every bite. If meal prepping is your thing, you can prepare this French toast recipe the night before and leave it to soak overnight. Morning of, just throw it in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. It’s so easy, you’ll be raising your hand to host brunch.
RELATED: 18 Brunch Recipes That’ll Make You Want to Eat In
Lemon Blueberry Baked French Toast Recipe
Serves 6 to 8
Prep time: 20 minutes
4 cups gluten-free bread torn into chunks
3/4 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup almond milk
Juice from 1 orange
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9” by 13” baking dish.
- Place the torn up chunks of bread and blueberries in the baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, milk, orange juice, lemon juice and zest until they’re well combined
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread and toss the bread with your hands so that it’s well coated. Allow the bread to sit for approximately 20 minutes or alternatively place it in the fridge covered until ready to bake (can be left to sit up to overnight).
- Bake the French toast in the oven for 20 minutes until it’s lightly golden on top. Sprinkle with a handful of fresh blueberries. If you’d like, add a dusting of icing sugar and drizzle the honey before serving.