Can a cookie be healthy? At 85 calories, these chocolate banana oatmeal cookies are guilt-free and satisfying. The mashed banana replaces some of the fat, but also adds moisture, keeping these cookies soft and chewy. Oats are a great source of slow-digesting carbs for lasting energy, plus they provide a nice texture with each bite. Use an overripe banana as these are the sweetest, and if you’re feeling nutty, throw in some chopped walnuts, almonds or your favorite nut variety.
RELATED: 10 Irresistible Protein Cookie Recipes
Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Per 1 cookie:
- 85 cal
- 3.4 g fat (.9 g sat)
- 13.2 g carbs
- 83 mg sodium
- 1.1 g fiber
- 7.6 g sugar
- 1.2 g protein
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 medium-sized banana
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a larger bowl, mash the banana with a fork until smooth and no chunks remain. Add oil, brown sugar, confectioner’s sugar, egg and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Slowly add flour mix into banana mix. Stir well and then fold in oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoonful balls of dough on prepared cookie sheet. Gently flatten cookie with hands.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes, just until edges turn golden brown. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
For more recipes from Emily, visit emsbytes.com.