Reward yourself after a challenging winter workout by chowing down on one of these good-for-you protein bars. With 6 grams of protein each, they will put those holiday cookies (and store-bought protein bars) to shame. If you don’t own a food processor, you can purchase oat flour at most grocery stores. To keep it vegan, simply replace the whey protein powder with a plant-based variety and use maple syrup in lieu of honey.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup quick oats
3 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
1/2 cup organic brown rice crisps cereal
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoon non-dairy chocolate chips
- Line a 9×5” loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Place rolled oats in food processor and pulse until oats are a flour consistency.
- In a medium bowl, mix processed rolled oats with quick oats, protein powder, and cereal.
- In a small pan over medium heat, stir honey and peanut butter until melted and combined. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour peanut butter mixture over oats. Stir well.
- Using hands, press mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- In microwave, melt chocolate chips for 1 minute, and then 30-second intervals stirring in between, until fully melted. Use a fork to drizzle chocolate over bars.
- Let cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes before slicing into 12 bars.
RELATED: 9 Healthy Homemade Protein Bar Recipes
With inspiration from Running With Spoons’ recipe.
For more recipes from Emily, visit www.emsbytes.com.