This is a bowl that is sure to energize you. It has all the components of a complete and satisfying meal: whole grains, protein, nutrient-dense vegetables and healthy fats. All of the vegetables are served lightly-steamed or raw to preserve vital nutrients. If you want to pack lunch for the week, make everything in advance and refrigerate each component in a separate container. Assemble your grain bowls each morning and top with fresh avocado!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30- 40 minutes
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
3/4 cup brown lentils, uncooked
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp curry powder
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium Yukon gold potato
4 cups chopped kale
3 cups shredded purple cabbage
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
Drizzle of olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 ripe avocados, cubed
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine the brown rice, lentils, water, salt and curry powder. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until all of the liquid has absorbed and the rice and lentils are tender, about 30-40 minutes. If you need to add more water, do so.
- Meanwhile, chop the sweet potato and Yukon gold potato into 1-inch cubes. Put them in a steamer basket and steam them over boiling water until they are fork tender, about 7-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the chopped kale to a mixing bowl along with half of the lemon or lime juice, a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt. Massage the kale with your fingers until it becomes tender. Set aside.
- Add the shredded cabbage to another mixing bowl and toss with the rest of the lemon or lime juice and a few pinches of salt. Massage the cabbage with your hands until it tenderizes a bit. Set aside.
- When the rice and lentils have finished cooking, fluff them with a fork. Taste and add more seasoning, if desired. Then distribute them between four bowls (if you’re making four servings). Top with the steamed potatoes, massaged kale, purple cabbage, cilantro and avocado. Enjoy!