Grilling vegetables is one of the healthiest ways to add flavor to a healthy dish — and thick slices of eggplant and Portobello mushrooms hold up well on the grill. Seasonal flavors of basil, arugula and tomato, complemented with a slice of mozzarella cheese, bring this vegetarian sandwich together. Add a dash of balsamic vinegar to kick the taste up a notch (and skip the mozzarella cheese to go vegan).
Grilled Eggplant and Portobello Sandwich Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1/3 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 eggplant, medium-sized
3 Portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup basil leaves
1 cup arugula
1 tomato, sliced
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced into 8 pieces
8 slices whole wheat bread
Salt and pepper
- Prepare grill to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, stir olive oil and garlic together. Let sit.
- Slice eggplant into ½-inch thick rounds.
- Remove stems and gills from mushrooms, then rinse and pat dry.
- Chiffonade cut the basil into thin strips.
- Using a basting brush, or hands, spread garlic oil onto eggplant and mushrooms, reserving about a tablespoon. Sprinkle vegetables with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Place eggplant on grill, over indirect heat. Let cook for 5 minutes, or until grill marks appear then flip. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Brush eggplant with additional oil, if necessary. Meanwhile, place portobellos on grill over direct heat. Cook for 3 minutes each side.
- Slice portobellos into ½-inch strips.
- Prepare sandwiches by placed 2 slices of mozzarella cheese on bread. Layer tomato slices, basil, eggplant, mushrooms and top with a sprinkle of arugula.
For more recipes from Emily, visit www.emsbytes.com.