Even a small dessert helps make a meal feel more complete. These lemony plum cakes — made with seasonal fruit, flaxseeds and avocado — are moist, tender and pair perfectly with a dollop of your favorite Greek yogurt.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 113 cal
- 5 g fat (2 g sat)
- 14 g carbs
- 63 mg sodium
- 1 g fiber
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 flaxseed meal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons avocado
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup low-fat milk
1 plum (or any stone fruit), pitted and cut into thin slices
2 tablespoons raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, avocado and sugar in another medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, lemon zest and vanilla and beat until combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients in 3 additions alternating with milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Divide batter among muffin cups (cups will be only 1/3 full). Top with plum slices and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake until cakes are golden, 20-25 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let pan cool 5 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack and let cool completely.