With its tender meat and crunchy coating, you would be forgiven for thinking this oven-fried chicken recipe makes for an indulgent meal. Compared to its deep-fried counterpart, you can save 150 calories and 10 grams of fat per drumstick by removing the skin, coating the chicken in gluten-free corn flakes and using olive oil cooking spray. Marinating the chicken in buttermilk helps tenderize the meat and guarantees that each bite of chicken is moist and juicy. Serve it with a healthy salad for a delicious protein-packed meal that family and friends will swear is just as satisfying as KFC.
Crispy Oven “Fried” Chicken Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Per 2-piece serving:
- 351 cal
- 7 g fat (2 g sat)
- 39 g carbs
- 392 mg sodium
- 4 g fiber
- 7 g sugar
- 34 g protein
2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and legs, skin removed (approximately 8 pieces)
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2/3 cup gluten free flour
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3 cups gluten-free corn flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil cooking spray
- In a bowl, stir together the buttermilk, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard. Add the chicken and store in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes, or up to six hours, to allow the meat to tenderize.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- In a Ziploc bag, combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder and chili powder.
- Remove chicken from the buttermilk marinade, and pour the excess into a shallow dish.
- Place the corn flakes, salt and pepper in a Ziploc bag and crush with your hands or a rolling pin until they are broken into very small pieces.
- Dredge one to two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag of flour. Next, place the chicken in the buttermilk, using a spoon to coat it evenly. Finally, put the chicken in the bag of cornflakes and shake until evenly covered.
- Place the chicken on the wire rack and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until the coating becomes crisp and golden in color.
For more recipes from Carmen, visit everylastbite.com.