You’ve likely heard that foods in season at the same time go well together. And, peach and basil are the perfect match in this libation. Simple and refreshing, this recipe allows you to trade vodka for bourbon if you wish — or ditch the alcohol altogether! (Coconut water is a great replacement.) Peach juice is best, whether home-juiced or from a bottle, rather than puréeing the fruit, which can be a bit to heavy in this beverage. The basil-infused simple syrup will last in the fridge for a week. So go ahead…make one tonight, and another over the weekend.
Peach and Basil Spritzer Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
For simple syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup basil leaves, packed
1 oz Bourbon
2 oz peach juice
1/4 oz basil simple syrup
3 oz club soda
- In a small saucepan over low heat, stir together water and sugar. Tear basil leaves into pieces and stir into pan.
- Heat until sugar dissolves—do not bring to a boil. Then remove from heat and let basil steep for 15 minutes.
- Drain simple syrup through a sieve and discard basil leaves.
- Place two ice cubes in a tumbler glass and add bourbon, peach, and simple syrup.
- Top off with club soda and stir. Garnish with peach slice or fresh basil leaves.
For more recipes from Emily, visit www.emsbytes.com.