These stuffed poblano peppers will certainly liven up your next taco night. They’re colorful, flavorful, and packed with good-for-you ingredients. Instead of white rice, the filling contains quinoa, a complete protein that has roughly 12 times the fiber that white rice has, and protein-rich black beans. If you’re not vegan, try sprinkling each pepper with some sharp cheddar or cotija cheese. Whether you add cheese or not, your taste buds will be cheering olé!
Fiesta Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
4 large poblano peppers
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup sweet corn kernels
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (one can, drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
Zest and juice of two limes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Begin by cutting each poblano pepper in half lengthwise. Remove the ribs and the seeds and discard.
- Put the peppers on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are just beginning to soften. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- While the peppers are cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- When the peppers have cooled, fill each pepper with the quinoa mixture. Garnish with more chopped cilantro and serve.