What’s the perfect food for chilly nights? Lasagna, of course! But how about a healthier version? Replace the pasta with polenta and add heaps of vegetables for a new twist on a favorite dish. Part-skim ricotta adds some protein, while polenta provides a sturdy and hearty base. This recipe is easily adaptable — if you have vegetables sitting around don’t hesitate to throw them in with the eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms.
Polenta Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
17.5 oz. polenta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large eggplant, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
6 white button mushrooms, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
15 oz. baby spinach
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F and spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Slice polenta into 1/2” thick pieces and line pan, cutting pieces to fit.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms for 4-6 minutes until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place spinach and water in skillet and stir for 3 minutes until wilted. Add marinara sauce and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Take off heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- In pan, top polenta with ricotta, using a fork to smooth out. Pour eggplant mixture on top. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbling. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
For more recipes from Emily, visit emsbytes.com.