Pumpkin is high in fiber, low in calories and delicious in pies. The gourd packs an abundance of disease-fighting nutrients, too, including potassium, vitamin A and carotenoids. And our pumpkin pie recipe has less sugar and fat than the traditional one, but trust us, it’s perfection all the same.
Pumpkin Pie Bites Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the crust:
4 refrigerated ready-to-roll pie crusts
3-inch cookie cutter
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
For the filling:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin
- Position oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll out two sheets of dough and use the cookie cutter to cut 24 circles (you may need to re-roll scraps). Gently press each circle into the molds of 24-cup mini muffin tray, leaving a 1/4-inch crust on top. Brush egg whites on the edges of each pie.
- To prepare filling, whisk together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add pumpkin, and beat until smooth.
- Spoon pumpkin mixture into each crust. Bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove pies and cool completely on wire rack. Repeat with the rest of the pie dough and filling.
Originally posted November 11, 2013.