Stir-frying at home is faster than takeout and much healthier, too, as you know exactly what’s going into your dish. This easy wok recipe has asparagus and mushrooms combined with tofu, tossed in a sesame-tamari sauce. Because a stir-fry is so unfussy, it also allows you to substitute nearly anything with an end result that will still taste great, so use whatever produce or protein you’ve got on hand. We love asparagus, especially this time of year, for its exceptional antioxidant nutrients and anti-inflammatory benefits. Tofu is a great source of lean protein (one serving of this meal has 15 grams), but it’s also high in calcium — a tasty option for your next meatless Monday.
Asparagus, Mushroom and Tofu Stir-Fry Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
3 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 stalks green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tablespoon julienne-cut ginger
8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
1 bundle (about 1 pound) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 equal pieces; cut each piece crosswise into 1/2-inch squares. Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels and a small empty saucepan. Let stand for 20 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch; set aside.
- Heat a large wok or non-stick skillet over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Combine tofu, pepper and 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Add tofu to pan; stir-fry until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Remove tofu from pan and set aside. Add onions, garlic and ginger to pan; stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from pan and add to tofu.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and asparagus; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Stir in tofu mixture.
- Add soy sauce mixture to pan; cook until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.