You say tomato, we say yes please! When cooked, this fruit becomes much richer in the antioxidant lycopene. Pump up the protein count by adding some soft-cooked egg whites for a flavorful, nutritious dish.
Egg and Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
2 large beefsteak tomatoes
5 egg whites
1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
Dash of salt
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and spoon out the flesh and seeds, discarding them.
- Place the tomatoes in a glass baking dish
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, chives, parsley and salt together.
- Pour egg mixture into the tomatoes and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake until the egg mixture is set, about 45 minutes.