Take a cue from Italian cuisine with this eggplant rollatini dish, made healthier with part-skim ricotta and a homemade, spicy arrabiata sauce. Grilling the eggplant boosts the dish’s flavor and makes rolling the vegetable a cinch. Feeling indulgent? Add slices of fresh mozzarella on top and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Eggplant Rollatini with Arrabiata Sauce Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Per 2 rollatini:
- 183 cal
- 12.6 g fat (3 g sat)
- 14.3 g carbs
- 180 mg sodium
- 5.2 g fiber
- 8.1 g sugar
- 6 g protein
1 28. oz can San Marzano whole tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
ground black pepper
2 large eggplants
1/4 cup olive oil
ground black pepper
1/4 cup basil
1 cup part-skim ricotta
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Prepare eggplant by cutting off the ends and slicing lengthwise into 1/4” thick pieces. Sprinkle salt on eggplant and place in colander for 20 minutes.
- Using a food processor, process can of tomatoes until smooth.
- In a large stock pot over medium-low heat, heat olive oil.
- Add garlic, stirring for 30 seconds. Then add red pepper flakes and tomato paste.
- Stir in processed tomatoes, sugar, sea salt and a dash of ground black pepper. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse off eggplant and pat dry. Using a pastry brush, brush oil onto eggplant slices and season with salt and pepper. Remaining oil can be brushed onto eggplant as it grills.
- Place eggplant slices on grill, cooking for 3-5 minutes each side. Transfer to baking sheet.
- In food processor, mix ricotta and basil until smooth.
- Scoop one tablespoon of ricotta and basil mixture onto wider end of eggplant and then roll tightly.
- In a deep dish, spoon arrabiata sauce and place rollatini on top. If need be, warm up the dish in the oven for 15 minutes at 350° F. Garnish with basil and serve.
For more recipes from Emily, visit www.emsbytes.com.