By substituting scrambled egg whites for half the noodles in this mac and cheese recipe, we drastically cut the carbs and boost the protein count. The firm eggs feel and taste just like al dente pasta and the cheesy sauce really only has about one ounce of cheese — the creaminess comes from egg yolks. We love having a heaping scoop for breakfast with a little turkey bacon crumbled on top. It gives a whole new meaning to bacon and eggs!
Mac and Cheese Scrambled Eggs Recipe
Total time: 20 minutes
2 large eggs
6 ounces nonfat evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon dry mustard
8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
3 cups egg whites
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar, shredded
6 slices turkey bacon
- In a small bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, milk, hot sauce and mustard. Salt to taste. Set aside.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, scramble the egg whites until cooked through and opaque. Set aside.
- Re-heat the pot to low and melt in the butter. Whisk in the sauce and cheese and stir constantly until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add pasta and eggs; toss to coat.
- Place turkey bacon in a single layer on a paper towel-lined microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high until crispy, about 2 minutes.
- Distribute the macaroni and eggs evenly among 6 bowls and crumble 1 strip of turkey bacon on top of each serving.