Spring is the season for fresh veggies, including vibrant stalks of asparagus. But there’s a fine line line between good-for-you-greens and the soggy stuff you find at the salad bar buffet. For a new twist on this veg, we roasted it to perfection with garlic, feta and pistachios. The creamy feta texture complements the crisp greens, while the crushed nuts add plenty of crunch. Bring this gluten-free side dish to your next dinner party or add it into your weekly meal plan. A good source of fiber, folate and vitamins A, C, E and K, this asparagus recipe will add a boost of nutrients to whatever entree you choose (fish or chicken dishes pair great). Want more spice? Add an additional quarter teaspoon of red pepper flakes and dig in!
Roasted Asparagus Recipe with Feta and Pistachios
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, pressed
Zest from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and unsalted
1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
1/4 cup feta cheese
Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat for 30 seconds. Add garlic, lemon zest, oregano and red pepper flakes and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Adjust heat so the garlic does not brown. Remove from heat and let sit.
- Place pistachios in an airtight bag and using a rolling pin or your hands, crush into small pieces.
- Dip the asparagus in the oil mixture and then place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the pistachios and then flip asparagus over. Sprinkle the remaining pistachios until coated. Garnish with feta cheese.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until the asparagus and topping begin to brown.
- Finish by pouring the lemon juice over the asparagus.
For more recipes from Emily, visit emsbytes.com.