At 280 calories per serving and more than 10 grams of protein, this vegan soba noodle dish will allow for seconds if the first round doesn’t fill you up. With a little spice and a lot of vegetables — thanks to sautéed broccoli, mushrooms and carrots — this dish will cure those winter blues. The recipe comes together easily and is also flexible. Don’t have mushrooms on hand? Stir in some peppers, onion or snap peas. Plus, it tastes even better as leftovers, so pack yourself a tasty, yet healthy, lunch.
Spicy Peanut Soba Noodles Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Per 1-cup serving:
- 280 cal
- 11.3 g fat (1.8 g sat)
- 39.2 g carbs
- 425 mg sodium
- 2.6 g fiber
- 7.3 g sugar
- 11 g protein
10 oz. uncooked soba noodles
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium head of broccoli, chopped into florets
8 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed
1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
5 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts, unsalted
1/2 cup scallions, chopped thinly
- Prepare soba noodles according to package instructions, cooking in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain and then rinse 2 to 3 times with cold water. Place noodles in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, mix peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, garlic, red pepper flakes and water. Whisk until smooth consistency.
- Over medium heat in large skillet, heat vegetable oil for about 30 seconds until rippling. Add broccoli and stir for 4 to 5 minutes, until just tender. Add mushrooms and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Stir peanut sauce over noodles and add matchstick carrots and then stir in the broccoli and mushroom mixture.
- Place peanuts in a small Ziploc bag and crush using rolling pin or hands, until broken into pieces.
- Plate noodles with a sprinkle of crushed peanuts and scallions.
For more recipes from Emily, visit emsbytes.com.