Succotash is the ultimate side dish of summer, when corn and lima beans are at their peaks. If fresh veggies aren’t handy, just sub in the frozen variety. You’ll still get the nutritional benefits, including fiber and antioxidants from corn, and fiber and protein from lima beans. Both ingredients help boost energy while stabilizing blood sugar. Add a chicken breast to make it a complete, filling yet light meal.
RELATED: Crispy Oven “Fried” Chicken Recipe
Summer Chicken Succotash Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 27 minutes
4 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup lima beans
1 medium yellow squash, diced
2 cups corn kernels
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
Juice of 1 lime
- Season each chicken breast with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary and half the parsley.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil; swirl to coat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add chicken breasts. Cook for 1 minute each side. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, do not lift the lid, and let the chicken rest undisturbed for another 10 minutes.
- In a medium skillet over high heat. Add the lima beans, squash and corn, season with salt to taste and cook until the squash is just tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and remaining parsley.
- Serve each chicken breast with 1 cup of succotash.
Need more light and tasty summer recipes? Try these 9 refreshing fruit salads.
Originally posted July 2014. Updated July 2016.