Did you go apple picking and now have no idea what to do with your bushels full of fruit? Problem solved! These apple oatmeal cookies are a healthier dessert, with only 110 calories per treat and three grams of fat — thanks to applesauce instead of excess butter. If available at your grocery store, try adding in butterscotch chips for a little extra indulgence!
Apple Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Prep time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 medium-large apple, peeled, cored and diced into ½ inch cubes
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a small bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Melt butter in microwave at 10-second intervals until fully melted. Place in a large bowl with brown sugar and sugar. Whisk until combined. Add the egg and vanilla, whisking until combined. Stir in applesauce and then fold in apple pieces and walnuts.
- Cover bowl and dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- Drop tablespoons of dough on sheet and flatten with back of spoon. Bake for 10 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown. Let cool on sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
RELATED: 10 Delicious Paleo Cookie Recipes
For more recipes from Emily, visit emsbytes.com.