Fried fish and fries dunked in tartar sauce can add up to an entire day’s sodium and saturated fat allowance recommended by the USDA. This grown-up but kid-friendly version lightly seasons strips of meaty cod with a spice such as Old Bay and relies on the oven — not the deep fryer — for crispy perfection. The result: fish and chips with 75 percent fewer calories, half the sodium and a third of the fat, yet still all the flavor you expect.
Baked Fish and Chips Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
2 medium russet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup diet soda (root beer, cola, ginger ale, etc.)
1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)
1 pound cod fillets, cut into 12 pieces
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Low-fat tartar sauce and/or malt vinegar for serving (optional)
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, halve again, and slice each quarter into ¼-inch-thick wedges. Soak in cold water for 30 minutes then dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss potatoes in olive oil and spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet, being careful not to overcrowd the fries. Bake on the lower rack for 15 minutes.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine soda, mustard, lime juice, egg whites and egg in a medium bowl; whisk until slightly foamy. Combine panko and old bay seasoning in another shallow dish.
- Season fish evenly with salt and pepper. Working with one piece at a time, dredge fish in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Coat with panko mixture, pressing to adhere until completely covered.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, place fish fillets on it and bake for 15 minutes. Flip the potatoes and return to oven for another 15 minutes. Serve the fish and chips with tartar sauce and/or malt vinegar, if desired.
For a fried-like crunch, stick lightly oiled baking sheets into the preheated oven for 10 minutes before putting the fries and fish on them.