Thanksgiving can be a difficult time for anyone on a restrictive diet, since just about every comfort food dish on the menu has meat, butter, cream or gluten. But this delicious stuffing recipe is the exception the rule. Made with gluten-free bread, mushrooms, dried cranberries and loads of herbs, the stuffing is the perfect choice for guests who are gluten-free, dairy-free or vegan. Moist in the middle with a crunchy crust, it might just outshine the turkey itself. Serve this dish as a Thanksgiving side and top with gravy or cranberry sauce!
Gluten-Free Acorn Squash Stuffing Recipe
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 1 hour
2 acorn squash
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
7 ounces chestnut mushrooms, diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups stale gluten-free bread cubes (if the bread is fresh, bake it in the oven for 15 minutes)
1 cup vegetable stock
2 teaspoons fresh sage, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds and drizzle the insides of each with olive oil.
- In a skillet, heat one teaspoon of olive oil on medium, and then add the diced onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms. Season them with salt and pepper. Sauté the veggies for approximately 10 minutes until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the bread cubes to a bowl along with the cooked veggies, vegetable stock, herbs and dried cranberries. Stir them until well combined.
- Place the acorn halves on a baking dish and fill each with the stuffing mixture.
- Cover the entire baking dish in tin foil and bake them in the oven for 40-50 minutes until the flesh of the squash is tender. Remove the tin foil and bake for a few more minutes uncovered until the top of the stuffing is golden in color. Sprinkle each acorn half with the chopped parsley before serving.
Want more delicious squash recipes? Try these flavorful butternut squash recipes.