With zucchini in full harvest, why not add some of these veggies to your desserts? This zucchini bread slashes fat thanks to applesauce, which also keeps each slice satisfyingly moist and tasty. A pinch of cinnamon — and a decadent serving of chocolate chips — will leave your kitchen smelling wonderful, and your taste buds overly content. Plus, with fewer than 130 calories per serving, there’s plenty to be happy about, guilt-free. Omit the chocolate chips altogether if you’re looking to lower the sugar content even further, and feel free to add walnuts for an extra wholesome crunch factor.
Zucchini Bread Recipe with Chocolate Chips
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Scant 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 zucchini, finely shredded
1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5” loaf pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, place sugar, applesauce, oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Slowly combine flour mixture into sugar mixture, stirring just until mixed.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips. Do not over-stir.
- Scoop mixture into greased loaf pan and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour. A toothpick should come out clean when done.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before slicing.
RELATED: Zucchini Bread Pancake Recipe
For more recipes from Emily, visit www.emsbytes.com.