When topped with warm maple syrup and toasted nuts, these ever-so-slightly sweet zucchini bread pancakes make an irresistibly delicious (and nutritious) breakfast. Your family would never guess there’s a half-cup serving of vegetables inside each stack. In addition to providing a punch of color, zucchini squash provides a generous dose of magnesium and folate, which support your bones and metabolism respectively. And the shreds melt into the pancakes to create just a subtle crunch with each bite.
RELATED: 5 Healthy Pancake Recipes to Try Now
Zucchini Bread Pancake Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 cups shredded zucchini (from 1 medium zucchini)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice blend
2 large eggs
1/2 cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Cooking spray for coating skillet
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Put shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to remove moisture.
- Whisk flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices together in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and sugar in another bowl. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not over mix). Fold in zucchini.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Once hot, coat the bottom with cooking spray. Using a 1/4-cup of batter for each pancake, spread 4-inch circles on the pan and cook until edges are dry, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden, another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with pecans before serving.
Hungry for more? Try these 10 Delicious Protein Pancake Recipes.
Originally posted April 2014. Updated February 2016.