Say adios to guacamole and refried beans because we are spicing things up with these delicious Moroccan-inspired tacos. We packed each tortilla with caramelized cubes of sweet potato, crunchy spiced chickpeas, spinach, fresh tomatoes and a zesty lime yogurt. To capture the rich flavors of Morocco, the sweet potato and chickpeas are tossed in a blend of cinnamon, immune-boosting ginger, paprika, cumin and turmeric, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Although vegetarian, the chunks of sweet potatoes and protein-rich chickpeas are substantial enough to satisfy even the hungriest of carnivores.
RELATED: 10-Minute Homemade Salsa Recipes
Moroccan Sweet Potato & Chickpea Tacos
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 gluten free tortillas
2 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 can chickpeas
1 cup spinach, washed and roughly chopped
1/4 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a bowl whisk together the turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, garlic powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, salt and olive oil
- Place the cubed sweet potato and chickpeas on a baking sheet. Pour the oil and spice mixture over them and toss until well coated. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven, flipping the sweet potatoes half way through to ensure they are evenly cooked. Remove from the oven once the chickpeas are crisp and the sweet potatoes are lightly browned and caramelized.
- In a bowl whisk together the yogurt, juice from half a lime and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Set aside
- To assemble the tacos place a small handful of spinach in each tortilla, top with large spoonsful of the sweet potatoes and chickpeas followed by the chopped tomatoes, lime yogurt and cilantro.
For more taco recipes, check out this Bite-Size Mexican Chicken Tacos Recipe.