By Chloe Coscarelli, author of Chloe Flavors: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy Vegan
The average Alfredo sauce can pack a thousand calories per serving, but this vegan alternative features cashews and a little Sriracha to turn up the heat and flavor. Adding some tempeh brings some balance to your pasta bowl with fiber and protein. Use gluten-free pasta, if you prefer.
Sriracha Tempeh Alfredo Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
1 pound fettuccine
For the cashew sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup raw cashews
2 cups water
2 tablespoons Sriracha
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons sea salt
For the sriracha tempeh:
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces tempeh, cut into bite-size cubes
1/4 cup water, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons Sriracha
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Toppings: Chopped fresh cilantro; lime wedges
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook to al dente according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot, off the heat.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for five to seven minutes, until softened. Transfer to a blender; set the skillet aside (no need to wash it). Add the cashews, water, Sriracha, maple syrup and salt to the blender. Blend on high speed for about two minutes, until very smooth.
- In the same skillet in which you cooked the onion, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the tempeh and cook, stirring, for six to eight minutes, until golden and lightly browned.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the water, Sriracha, maple syrup and salt. Pour the mixture over the tempeh and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce has somewhat been absorbed and has thickened.
- Add the cashew sauce to the pot with the pasta and toss to coat. Season with pepper; taste and adjust the seasoning. If the sauce gets too thick, add water, one tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. Serve the pasta in bowls and top each serving with the Sriracha tempeh, cilantro and a lime wedge.
Reprinted from Chloe Flavor. Copyright © 2018 by CKC Sales, LLC. Photographs copyright © 2018 by Christina Holmes. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.