Easy, delicious and oh-so-filling, this stuffed sweet potato recipe will become a new favorite. Think of it as a healthier, more satisfying take on a taco with lentils as your “meat.” Instead of using a tortilla, you get a nutritious sweet potato shell, high in vitamin A, B6, C, potassium and fiber. Make it vegan-friendly by skipping the cheese and sprinkling some nutritional yeast on top instead. You can eat it for dinner or serve as a side — either way, it’s one sweet deal.
Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe with Avocado and Lentils
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 sweet potatoes
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1 can organic, plain lentils
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup goat cheese
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease it with olive oil. Place the potatoes on the sheet, and poke a few holes into each potato with a fork.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven, and bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes, or until they’re soft. Use a fork to pierce the potatoes. If it’s difficult to fork the potatoes, they need more time.
- In a separate bowl, mash the avocado and sprinkle it with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Drain and rinse lentils from the can.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove them from oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Cut the potatoes open lengthwise, and scoop out some of the inside flesh. You can save it for later to make a sweet potato mash.
- Drizzle some olive oil over each potato. Fill the potatoes with equal portions of the lentils and mashed avocado. Top them with crumbled goat cheese, cilantro, chili flakes and a squeeze of lemon juice.
For more easy and flavorful sweet potato recipes, check out these hearty dishes.