By Chloe Coscarelli for Nasoya
Vegans and meat lovers alike will enjoy these juicy tofu mini burgers from chef Chloe Coscarelli, co-founder of the beloved By Chloe all-vegan outposts in New York City. One of her many superpowers: Making burgers so moist and hearty that carnivores won’t believe it’s not meat. Here, her choice of tofu packs 10 grams of plant-based protein in half a cup (not bad compared to beef, ground turkey and chicken). And to bind those mini patties together? This sliders recipe calls for brown rice and breadcrumbs. Don’t forget the onion powder and minced garlic infuse the patties with mouthwatering taste. And instead of sugary ketchup and barbecue sauce, the Sriracha-lime hummus incorporates the refreshing flavors of the Mediterranean with a spicy kick.
Vegan Greek Sliders with Sriracha-Lime Hummus Recipe
For the tofu sliders:
1 package (16 oz) Nasoya Organic Extra Firm Tofu, pressed 20 mins, crumbled
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil
Slider buns or small dinner rolls, halved and toasted
Optional Toppings: Arugula, sliced red onion, sliced tomato
For sriracha-lime hummus:
1 (15 oz) can white beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove garlic
- Wrap the tofu tightly in kitchen or paper towels and place a heavy object on top of them (for example, a can of soup or a few cookbooks). Let the tofu sit for about 20 minutes while excess water releases from it.
- In the meantime, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and let them cook until they’re soft. Crumble the tofu into the skillet and let it cook a few more minutes until they’re lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and reserve the skillet for later use. Add the brown rice, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder and herbs to the food processor. Pulse the mixture until it’s fully combined. Use your hands to form patties to fit the size of your slider buns.
- Lightly grease the reserved nonstick skillet with olive oil, and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the patties, working in batches as needed, and cook them for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they’re nicely browned. Add more oil to the skillet in between batches as needed.
- To make the hummus, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend them until the mixture is smooth.
- Spread some hummus on the top and bottom buns, and layer the slider patty with arugula, onion and tomatoes.
For more homemade condiment ideas, check out these amazingly easy homemade recipes.