Although delicious, popular Mexican-inspired appetizers like as cheesy nachos, quesadillas and multiple layer dip have a reputation for being high in calories and in fat. By swapping some of the queso and sour cream for mashed avocado and a homemade salsa fresca, these tacos have all of the Mexican flavor but with way less calories — only 150 per serving size of three! We baked the wonton wrappers in muffin tins until crisp and then piled in traditional fillings like shredded lettuce, black beans, chicken, avocado (a great source of fiber and potassium) and spicy salsa. Serve a plate of these Mexican chicken tacos at your next fiesta!
RELATED: Healthy Five-Layer Dip Recipe
Bite-Size Mexican Chicken Tacos Recipe
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 wonton wrappers
Olive oil cooking spray
1 avocado, mashed
1 can black beans
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
For the salsa:
3/4 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 red onion
Juice from 1 lime
Pinch of salt
- Place the chicken breast in a bowl with the lime juice, cumin, smoked paprika and olive oil and allow to marinate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the chicken and marinade in a baking dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into bite-size pieces.
- To make the salsa, chop up the tomatoes, onion, jalapenos and cilantro and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and stir in the lime juice.
- Place a wonton wrapper into each cup of a muffin tin and spray lightly with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until crisp and golden in color.
- Fill each wonton cup with shredded lettuce, a spoonful of black beans, chicken, mashed avocado and salsa. Serve.
For more recipes from Carmen, visit everylastbite.com.