If you’ve ever watched Arrested Development, then you’re familiar with their famous frozen banana treat known as G.O.B. (frozen banana double dipped in chocolate with double the nuts). This healthier take on the TV dessert features heart-healthy chia seeds and hemp hearts (also known as shelled hemp seeds). Dark chocolate chips are melted with coconut oil to create a buttery, velvet glaze, and nut butter adds a rich flavor and filling protein. Just be warned: While this DIY sushi recipe packs plenty good-for-you nutrients, it’s fairly calorie-dense (and wildly addictive!) so stick to 1/2-half banana serving if you can. And don’t forget to share — we recommend keeping a stash in the freezer or packing them up in cooler to earn major summer picnic points.
RELATED: 23 Reasons You Need More Bananas In Your Life
Frozen Banana Sushi Recipe
Per 1/2-banana serving:
- 199 cal
- 14 g fat (3 g sat fat)
- 26 g carbs
- 3 mg sodium
- 5 g fiber
- 15 g sugar
- 5 g protein
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
3 tablespoons nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, sunflower seed)
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon chia seeds, optional
1 teaspoon hemp hearts, optional
1 teaspoon bee pollen, optional
1 teaspoon chopped nuts, seeds or other toppings, optional
- Peel bananas and coat with nut butter.
- Heat a pan of water and create a double broiler by adding another pan on top of the lightly boiling water.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil. Stir continuously until melted.
- Pour over nut butter covered bananas and spread around to coat.
- Sprinkle with toppings of choice. In this case chia seeds, hemp seeds and bee pollen.
- Slice and enjoy.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
You can use any crushed topping of your choice to cover the chocolate coated banana. They are good stored in the freezer or refrigerator for a quick snack.
For more healthy chocolate recipes, check out these 21 Protein Powder Recipes for Chocolate Lovers.